Art and Design
"Every child is an artist.
The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
- Pablo Picasso
The art and design curriculum at St Francis de Sales seeks to inspire, engage and challenge pupils by equipping them with the knowledge and skills to appreciate, experiment and create their own works of art. As they progress through the school, they will develop a deeper understanding of art and design, exploring the impact it has on contemporary life and that of different times and cultures.
Our curriculum is designed to not simply provide a set of encounters from which children form ad-hoc memories; it is designed to be remembered in detail – to be stored in our students’ long-term memories so that they can later build on it. In order to achieve this, we employ a variety of teaching strategies, these include:
- the use of a pupil sketchbook (which accompanies pupils during their time at our school)
- use of a visualizer to show pupils exactly how to use each media in depth step-by-step
- utilising Art Knowledge Organisers in which pupils self-quiz
- the promotion of incidental art and learning outside the classroom opportunities
- working with resident artist 'Becky'. Not only does Becky have over 17 years experience of working in school settings, but also she is a highly accomplised artist. It is anticipated that through class teachers 'team-teaching' alongside Becky, children will benefit from learning from the very best in the field, and could also be inspired to view 'art' as a viable career choice.
In addition, art and design also has a significant and valuable cross-curricular role to play in the overall ethos of our school. Incorporating art into the wider curriculum is intrinsic to teaching at St Francis de sales. Children here thrive, immersed in a curriculum that is ignited by the power of art and design. Lessons are creative and dynamic whilst enabling us to extend and enrich children’s' learning. We pride ourselves on using the work of pupils to provide a vibrant and stimulating environment throughout the school.
Our vision is to ensure that all children not only develop their artistic techniques, but are also inspired and influenced through the study of art. In working with a resident artist, looking at art within our locality, studying the works of famous artists and examining art from different cultures and faiths - we aim to provide our pupils with the essential knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in becoming well-rounded, informed citizens.