At St Francis de Sales we are committed to providing an outstanding educational experience in mathematics for each one of our pupils.
The purpose of mathematics in our school is to:
- Deliver mathematics in line with the National Curriculum guidelines in an engaging and innovative manner which develops a deep and lasting interest in maths.
- Have high expectations to ensure all children achieve their full potential.
- Create a lively, exciting and stimulating environment where mathematics is filled with cross curricular opportunities, including learning outside the classroom and a sense of owe and wonder is created.
- Promote a positive and enthusiastic attitude towards mathematics and the concept that acquiring mathematics knowledge and skills provides the foundation for understanding the real world.
- Deepen knowledge and understanding of: number; calculation; fractions including decimals and percentages; measurement; algebra; ratio and proportion; geometry and statistics.
- Follow a structured and systematic approach to the teaching of written and mental arithmetic ensuring progression and continuity throughout the school.
- Become confident and fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- Solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
- Develop the use of initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others.
Daily one hour mathematics lessons totaling a minimum of 6 hours will take place each week. The 6th hour will focus on the development of fluency when applying the core arithmetic skills. Problem solving and reasoning will be embedded throughout the curriculum with ample opportunities to apply taught skills to real life situations.
For more detail on each Year Group's curriculum please see their individaul curriculum page.