At St. Francis de Sales, our aim is to provide a high-quality Science education providing foundations for understanding the world. Through building key knowledge and understanding of concepts, pupils are encouraged to recognise the power of rational explanation and develop a sense of curiosity about natural phenomena.
We aim to ensure all pupils:
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics;
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through a variety of different scientific enquiries that help them to answer questions about the world around them;
- are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
- are encouraged to understand how Science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave, and analyse causes.
Our focus on open-ended investigative activities gives our pupils the opportunity to:
- test out their own ideas experimentally
- use a variety of investigative approaches including fair testing; observation; pattern-seeking; exploring and making models
- develop practical skills
· carry out investigative fieldwork
- appreciate the importance of experimental evidence
St. Francis de Sales aims to maximise the opportunities which Science offers to provide cross-curricular links with other curriculum subjects.